Christopher Unrein, DO, FACOI, FACP, CMD
Dr. Christopher Unrein has had a diverse career in internal medicine: from rural general internal medicine to geriatrics, nursing home medicine, and hospice medicine. He has been on the clinical faculty of the Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine since its opening in August 2008, and the University of Colorado, School of Medicine in the Department of Internal Medicine, since 1996.
Dr. Unrein feels he has an obligation to teach the next generation of physicians as others gave of themselves to him. “It is very rewarding,” he said. “It is also important to share the ideals of the profession; that physicians are unique and specially educated to serve their patients as leaders of the health-care system. The relationship we have with our patients is the reason that most of us became physicians in the first place. The physician-patient relationship is supreme, and its sanctity must be preserved and held in highest regard.”
Dr. Unrein settled into long-term care and palliative medicine because he found caring for the frail and the elderly the most rewarding type of medical practice. His practice emphasizes quality of life and genuine respect for the lives of patients.
Dr. Unrein received a Bachelor of Arts in Biology at the University of Colorado at Denver in 1983, and a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree at Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1988. After medical school, he went on to an ACGME-accredited internal medicine residency at Mountainside Hospital in Essex County, New Jersey.
Dr.Unrein is a Professor of Internal Medicine at Rocky Vista College Of Osteopathic Medicine as well as a Professor of Internal Medicine at the University Of Colorado, School Of Medicine. Professor Unrein serves as Medical Director for the Rocky Vista Health Center in addition to his academic responsibilities.
- Board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in the fields of Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
- Board certified in Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine by the American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine.
- Certified in nursing home medical direction through the American Medical Directors Association.
- Fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Internists.
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians
Positions that Dr. Unrein holds or has held include:
- President of the Colorado Society of Osteopathic Medicine 2013-2014
- President of the Colorado Medical Society in 2003-2004
- President of the Colorado Foundation for Medical Care (CFMC) in 1999-2000
- President of the Colorado Society of Internal Medicine (CSIM) in 1998-1999, transitioning the merger between the CSIM and the Colorado chapter of the American College of Physicians
- Life member of the Des Moines University chapter of Sigma, Sigma Phi, a scholastic osteopathic fraternity